SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Board game vs online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 15.09.2009 22:12    Post subject: Board game vs online Reply with quote

Ok, for those who play on the board as well as online, some questions.

1. How come there are some incredibly good board players out there who don't play online? Where do they get all their practice from, as on the board you could never play as many games as online, nor against such a wide range of opponents. Only now and then at tournaments would you get this chance, so how do these players get so good?

2. What design of pieces is usually used at board game tournaments?

3. Are there different strategies employed on the board game, because you are moving your hand around and the opponent can see your face/hear your reactions, etc. So is there anything you should do differently?

4. In Barrage/Duell/UL, how is the opponent's side of the board screened so you can't see where he is putting his pieces?

More questions as I think of them
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 16.09.2009 21:02    Post subject: Re: Board game vs online Reply with quote

1. Kees de Vos (dutch player) proves you can play as many off line games, as you can on line. And it seemes you dont need more practise then a few tourneys a year. (and maybe a few games on the board before a tourney). For example Vincent de Boer won the world championships in 2007 while he played maybe 10 games that year.

2. In Europe the original europe design (not the new design, which has some critics).

3. Yes, like face impression (poker face). Psychology plays a bigger part at the real life board.

4. If youre paying attention you can predict which side he puts his pieces with barrage. Its no different screen than classic.

Samuel wrote:
Ok, for those who play on the board as well as online, some questions.

1. How come there are some incredibly good board players out there who don't play online? Where do they get all their practice from, as on the board you could never play as many games as online, nor against such a wide range of opponents. Only now and then at tournaments would you get this chance, so how do these players get so good?

2. What design of pieces is usually used at board game tournaments?

3. Are there different strategies employed on the board game, because you are moving your hand around and the opponent can see your face/hear your reactions, etc. So is there anything you should do differently?

4. In Barrage/Duell/UL, how is the opponent's side of the board screened so you can't see where he is putting his pieces?

More questions as I think of them
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 20.09.2009 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok I didnt realise a screen was used for classic, but I guess it makes sense.

As an online player I wish there were more online tournaments though. For example we just had the British championships but to win it you had to attend and play board games. Yet the board game players dont have to come online and play 'my' preferred style in order to win anything. Its a lot cheaper to run online tournaments too, if less sociable. People dont have to pay for travel and hotel costs! Looking at the British Stratego association it seems the top board game players are held in very high regard, but online players dont get a lot of credit or respect. Why is this?
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 27.09.2009 01:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sam,

That was the British Open, not the British Nationals.

The National Championships where the winner becomes British champion is a tournament for just Brits. (best British player) These Championships are held in Classic, Barrage, UL & Duel.

The British Open is an open event where anyone of any Nation can come and compete to win the title of British Open Champion. Technically the British Open would be harder to win then the Nationals as you have players from other Nations competing in the competition as well as British players.
The British Open is currently only played as a Classic event. No barrage, duel etc.

Online tournaments I know lots about. There has been loads over the years. Most organised partly by me. Why dont I organise more? Basically because it is very time consuming and a pain in the Rs.
Check out my website for some of the old stuff about online tournaments. You will find there has been quite a few.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: