SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for Battle Results listing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghochan
User

PostPosted: 11.09.2003 11:46    Post subject: Request for Battle Results listing Reply with quote

One of the things I enjoyed at WSC was the "Battle Results" page, in which all the recent games completed were recorded for all to see. I am always curious to know who played whom, and what the outcome was. I think it also helps build the stratego community because it gives us something "Stratego-related" to talk about. I like to cheer on my friends and recognize them when they win an upset against a higher ranked player. Would it be possible to have something like that here?

Thanks.

ghochan
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 12.09.2003 09:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

like this one:

http://www.gravon.de/english/stratego/todays.php

Best regards
spion
ghochan
User

PostPosted: 12.09.2003 12:39    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

Thank you! What a quick response!

Has that been available all this time, or did you just now create it? I have never seen battle results as an option from the Stratego page.
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 13.09.2003 00:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

i just created it. It is not complete yet, i will add the current ratings/rankings of the players and add a way to select older results.

Best regards
spion
Lion

PostPosted: 14.09.2003 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks cool,

is it not possible to put the winner first, instead of red player?
Think it would be easier to watch.

Lion
ghochan 1

PostPosted: 15.09.2003 12:18    Post subject: battle results Reply with quote

I think the format is OK as it is, once you get used to looking at the far-right column to see which player got the win. It might be interesting to see at some point if player 2 wins more often, since many players feel it is advantageous to move second and race to the game board so that they can get the player 2 (blue) position before their opponent does.

By the way, it is me (ghochan). I was just too lazy to log in . . .
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 15.09.2003 16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

some statistics (will be added to some web pages as soon as i have time):

Classic only!

Total number of stratego games on Gravon: 15119
Ranked games: 5055
Unranked games: 10064

Number of wins for red (total): 7469
Number of wins for blue (total): 7169
Number of draws (total): 481

Number of wins for red (ranked only): 2603
Number of wins for blue (ranked only): 2326
Number of draws (ranked only): 126

That means:
Win % of red (total, w/o draws): 51.02 %

Win % of red (ranked only): 52.80 %

Best regards
spion
Glücksritter

PostPosted: 16.09.2003 08:32    Post subject: red vs. blue Reply with quote

Very interesting statistics! I can't get enough of them!

The overbalance of red wins is remarkable. But it doesn't really surprise me.
I would expect the more experienced and motivated player to choose red in order to suggest the game mode, i.e. whether rating is active and spectators or downloads are allowed. Or it's imaginable that player red tends to enable rating when he is expecting a win, and tends to disable rating when he is being afraid of losing.
That is to say we cannot conclude an advantage of moving first.
Nevertheless it could be interesting to find out whether blue or red have an advantage. And it's possible. We just need to decide who plays red at random, as it is conventional at face to face tournaments in Europe. If there is a noteworthy advantage for some colour on the average, we should see it in short time.
In case we would not find a difference on the average, it might still be true that some players play better with a certain colour. Perhaps the player who is mostly attacking, prefers red or the mainly defending player favours blue. We could answer this by analysing outcomes by player. If there are significantly more players with an unbalanced red/blue ratio than to expect under the hypothesis that there is no red or blue preference for any player, we can reject this hypothesis.

Besides, if one colour had an advantage, it would be fairer to allocate colours at random than letting the quicker player choose.
Lion

PostPosted: 16.09.2003 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be interesting to see the same statistics, but considering only games in which the winner had (before the match) less than say 100 ratingpoints more than his opponent.

This way you consider only games that could theoretically go either way, and ignore games in which the better player just won. You can safely say that if someone wins against someone with 500 points less, this was not because of the colour.

You should consider games in which the difference was more that 100 points, but with the loser having the highest rating.

I think it would give a better result to count only ranked games for this, so that games are played seriously.

If this doesn't show the same preference to red, then probably the better player just choses red more often. Or maybe it's because of what ghochan said, some players chose blue to have an advantage when they feel they need it (playing against a higher opponent). If there is no advantage, it would mean the blue player just loses such games more often. Against low opponents they might not bother and chose random and win.
-deleted103
User

PostPosted: 16.09.2003 16:43    Post subject: stats don't lie Reply with quote

Lion, enough games have been played to make that statistically relevant. Maybe also some games were decided between players less than 100 points apart when one player loses his general because his wife yells at him to hurry up or she'll hit him with a frying pan...or his 5 year old kid moves the "neat" looking thingy when he goes in the other room for a coffee. Skills don't "have to" count in some wins that seem more important. Or, if playing in person, maybe one guy gets distracted by the piece of pizza on his opponents chin, or by his smoking, or her lovely ass-ets. Everything will eventually average out.
In chess, the first player "white" has about a 55-60% win percentage also.
Like ghochan playing better as "blue" I somehow have done better as black in chess, waiting for white to overextend. Depends on strategy but you can't deny the stats once you get into the thousands of games.
Hey, this reminds me...Spion, is there a way to have an option, like chess, where both sides can see each others pieces the whole game?! Sure it would change the whole game, but I think it would make it just as good or better. Unlimited quantifiable strategies could be developed with no sure setup or style being a guaranteed winner (How to effectively protect flag while giving Marsh or general enough frontline capturing possibilities? How to effectively "throw away" enough mediocre pieces to get a strong guy to the weak side in enough time to protect spy or flag?). Also, third part viewing no longer a problem----quality spectator game. OK, jerry and ghochan, I've done my part to jumpstart the forum now.
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 22.09.2003 23:34    Post subject: open pieces Reply with quote

is there a way to have an option, like chess, where both sides can see each others pieces the whole game?!

hello,

the option is available. just chosse "play open" after you enter the game.
but for a hole game it doesnt make sence, because the unknown setup
and pieces are a main part for the game.

but if you want to discuss setups, end games or a situation in a game, its
wonderfull.

Stratego
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: