SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Annoyed and pissed off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 01.06.2007 22:43    Post subject: Annoyed and pissed off Reply with quote

When will the admin remove that annoying pop up which comes on.....if you try to leave a game because the software has crashed.

My screen had froze so I tried to leave and come back..........and all i got was that pop up message saying i cannot leave a ranked game.

By the time I had shut everything down and come back in........my 15 mins were up and i lost due to this stupid system.

NOT FOR THE FIRST TIME I MIGHT ADD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ricardo90
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.06.2007 00:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

then typ, .x and then you can easy restart gravon
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.06.2007 02:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if you hit reconnect? will that unfreeze the situation?
art
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.06.2007 08:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

It especially hurts to lose 32 points to an "olf". My God, I think you should get him to agree to remove that shady victory, or the world will suffer tremendously if gravon's greatest has to live on with this defeat.
23:22 Classic AceRimmer olafthueringer 0 : 1 opponent missing 300-350 1:00:14
Unacceptable to lose to a 1078 ranked player
Olaf, please step forward like a man and do the right thing. Unacceptable to allow this 30 point victory into your ratings.

I agree the fact that when your screen freezes, on its own doing, not the internet connection, but your own pc, you cannot undo gravon without a taking at least 5 minutes of time, plus the need to reboot, then reconnect to the internet. Spion told me 4 months ago he was working on the issue.
When your own pc freezes, no gravon commands will respond ricardo and bob, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing, but the overriding programming to close the gravon screen, continues to be active, thus forcing you to ctrl alt delete, and use the task manager to "end now", that can take 5 minutes sometimes. But if your pc is frozen, sometimes the task manager will not intitiate, and Ace's only resolve then is to hard shut down the pc and reboot.
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.06.2007 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this this happen but have managed to get end program and reboot done within 15 minutes. It's when I've had a connection problem that I couldnt make it back in time once vs thunder. He was killing me so likely thought I did a runner. I have not done a single runner in 2 years at gravon, it's not my style
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.06.2007 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night........I asked olaf about changing the result. His answer was that he has lost 4 times this way.......so no, he would not change the result.

I feel very annoyed.

What makes it worse is that............a year ago......if something like this happened......it was easier to shut down and get back online within the 15 min period. Now it is much harder and makes a difference between getting back in time and not.

Last edited by acerimmer on 08.06.2007 14:07; edited 1 time in total
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.06.2007 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a cheap way to get a win that's for sure. One time I was having trouble with my game sticking and was on the short timer with Katama. It was early and I think he was up at least a captain. I told him of my problem and he offered a draw right then and there. He certainly did not have to do that but he did. I told him I would try and play it out. We got thru the game and he won. Kat showed me true sportsmanship on that day and it was a class gesture. I always look highly upon the guy after that.
OGETARTS
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.06.2007 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone has a different ISP and we all don't use the same internet brower or operating systems. BUT I've never (knock on wood) had a problem with the software here. Once I get knocked off I'm usually able to get back on and join the game within 2-3 mintues tops.

Ace, have you tried emailing spion or chatting with him? He can answer your questoin better then any of the Admins.

Thanks,

OGE
art
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 05.06.2007 04:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

* unbiasbob left his/her place, game suspended
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 05.06.2007 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

did your puter never crash art? I got back within 15 minutes though
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 05.06.2007 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello all,

in the last 1-2 years we had several questions to minimize the 15 min rule.
we never did it, because we know that a pc can show some strange behaviour
and you need the 15 mins to come back.

beside i dont have any reports about a problem with the 15 mins.
i had 2-3 situation myself, but then the hole internet was down and it needs
hours to get a new connection. ok, i lost the games - no question for me.

i dont know why you cannot reboot within 15 mins, but this is for sure no
gravon prob.
even with a major freeze you can reset the computer and restart all within 15 mins.
if not you should look for your settings and try to get the computer stable.
also you can use the client.
i told you several times.

olaf talked to me about the game. he told me you offer a draw and you had no miners left.
he dont accept the draw and you stopped moving, but he saw you chatting after this.
then you leave gravon.

i dont know the exact details - but this doesnt sound to steal a lost game.
beside that its true, that olaf himself lost a lot of games because of some
provider probs.

stratego

ps. we only delete postings, if they dont fit with the rules.
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 05.06.2007 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in the last 1-2 years we had several questions to minimize the 15 min rule.
we never did it, because we know that a pc can show some strange behaviour
and you need the 15 mins to come back.

I have never been for changing the 15 min rule.

Quote:
i dont know why you cannot reboot within 15 mins, but this is for sure no
gravon prob.
even with a major freeze you can reset the computer and restart all within 15 mins.

The rebooting problem taking more than 15 mins.......is not gravons problem.
However this 15 minute window is severely reduced when it takes over 5 minutes to shut down gravon......in the damn first place!
Once upon a time......not long ago......anyone could exit a game (if the screen froze) and log immediately back onto gravon within 1 minute. Now we have multiple pop ups which clog the screen and slow things down even more.......making the overall effect an even more frustrating experience.
Add the fact that I were waiting several minutes before even trying to shut things down........hoping the screen would come back alive......as sometimes happens......after a temparary freeze........and you will soon realise.......the 15 mins looks very small.

Quote:
also you can use the client.
i told you several times.

I have tried to use the client.....but it just does not like my computer.

Quote:
he told me you offer a draw and you had no miners left.
he dont accept the draw and you stopped moving, but he saw you chatting after this.
then you leave gravon.

As for the report that I talked and then left gravon?????????
VERY INTERESTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Either one of 2 things has happened........either I was still logged on......and only my computer was not showing any typed messages (UNLIKELY) OR olaf is talking about when I returned.
Please NOTE......as per usual the gravon server seems to carry on showing i am on gravon......even though i have been booted. MANY MANY times do i re enter gravon after being disconned with the greeting of "AceRimmer is removed- replaced"
"AceRimmer arrives on Gravon"

This obviously shows the gravon server still seeing me online......even though my computer says otherwise......and there is no response from my typing on the screen.

Yeah.......as soon as i thought this has crashed......I started typing "hello" etc
There was no response......so i tried to exit and come back!
DID OLAF SEE THESE MESSAGES??

Maybe he just thought I was there all the time...............and when I re entered gravon.......and re entered the room........maybe he his referring to when i typed several messages to him when I managed to get back onto the site???

Either way........I could not move my pieces.

Last edited by acerimmer on 08.06.2007 14:12; edited 1 time in total
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 06.06.2007 00:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ace,

As for olaf being the victim of this dumb rule on 4 times previously????? (none against me.....by the way).
If someone steals something from you......is it ok to steal from another person ...just because you were the victim of a similar crime......from a different person???

i just mention this fact. he knows that this is his prob and he takes the loss.
(most times he played with clock, so time for coming back is small)

about your computer probs:

1. try to exit with .x
2. try resync
3. please download the lates version from java sun
4. maybe you run to many prg during a match?
5. try the client - we can help you if something doesnt work. but its
the same (more stable and faster) like the website prg.
all he needs is java sun and a setup direct at harddrive c:
(if he doesnt work, you have a major problem within your system)

and last not least (and this helps always)
5. if all freeze, just hit the "reset" button. all computers start within
a sec and nothing is left. even if you see your name at gravon, the
server delete the old one, after you log in again. this cause no trouble.

i told you that i didnt know all the facts about your game, just some infos.

stratego
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 08.06.2007 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

To stop any misunderstandings and to clarify things:

I do not think olaf was unsporting.......he is merely obeying the rules set out by gravon for disconnections/crash situations. Whether these rules are fair is another question.

The rules say I could not get back within 15 min......so I therefore forfeit the game. This is acceptable as it is a universal rule for everyone.

I CAN'T say I am happy to lose this way.........but I am past careing about singular games where i get disconnected and can't get back in time.

It is probably my computers fault and not gravons (although gravon has made this problem worse by adding the pop ups to make it harder to disconnect and re enter gravon).

I don't think I will be complaining about crashed and disconnected games ever again........what will be will be. The hassle and annoyance of losing this way is too much. Whether you are winning, losing or in a draw situation......to lose this way is the worst thing for any competitive player.
I now realise there is no point in worrying about these games. Cheap wins.....fine.......but my computer will only crash so many times.......and the majority of times, the guy will have to earn the win.

Case closed!

p.s. I hope I did not offend you olaf and i look forward to beating you the next 20 games in a row (computer crashes permitting)
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 11.06.2007 00:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ace,

i checked your computer probs back to 2004!
i found 3 games, where you lost by timeout.

i think this shows, that its not a gravon problem. in addition the results of the 3 games:
- against marshal_hal was removed from list,
- against maropoly was removed from the list
- against isawscott was removed from the list

so none of the games counted for ranking - you got no loss.
only the game against olaf was not deleted, because olaf had a good chance to win.

in same time you had several games where you win because of this rule - none of these results were removed.
you got all wins!

so for the last 3 years you got 5 wins and one (justified) loss.
i dont see any problems here or a problem with the gravon software.
also you took all advantages from this rule.

stratego
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: