SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New features?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 24.11.2003 14:06    Post subject: New features? Reply with quote

Hi!

Stratego is online for nearly one year now and many features have been built in since it appeared here.

Now my question is:

What features are missing?

Feel free to post your ideas and discuss them

Best regards
spion

O->#
the_freak

PostPosted: 24.11.2003 16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

well posting a link on the homepage (after clicking stratego) which would link to a page which explains the UL rules would come in handy if we wanna get new UL players (and we definatly do, believe me)

Oh and a feature of watching battle results of the past days (maybe past week) would be cool too........

Or a feature which automaticly store your personal battle results (in a database, could be an offline database too, stored on your own harddisk) and assign them to your uername, so when you want you can see all games you ever played on here, to who, which gametype and also the result of that......would be hard to implement i think.......but would be a cool feature

other then that i can't really imagine new features by now.......it looks pretty cool as it is now.....nice gameplay, nice rating system.......
-deleted129
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 27.12.2003 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO we must be very glad to have someone like you guys(spion and all other persons involved 'backstage') to make Stratego online possible as it now is...

At this moment I can not say what I am missing.... pretty much complete.
Maybe X% ranking points penalty when a player dont play for Y weeks/months.

Luc Adriaansen
kentinator
User

PostPosted: 06.01.2004 06:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi spion - nice work! This is a great place for Stratego lovers.
I have a few ideas to improve things.
1. It would be really nice if the .I feature also showed the persons ranking or rating, so we could find them in the ranking list more easily. I like to get an idea of someone's strength before playing them, and often I spend several minutes searching a name that has showed up in the room, at times only to find that they are not on the list because they don't even play stratego! (they may play one of the other games here).
2. I disagree with a time limit for moves. This would add un-welcome and un-needed stress. If someone plays too slow for you, simply don't play them again.
3. There are two columns that I think are not needed in the rankings, that would give you more room for adding the 2004 rating: losses streak (why keep such a negative stat?) and number of unrated games played.
4. It would be really helpful if we could tell if a game being played was allowing watching by looking at the game tables. This way we could find a game to watch more easily without having to enter each room. Another great feature would be having the elapsed game time displayed.

Otherwise, thanks to everyone for a fun site to play at. And please - if you see me please WAKE ME because I am often right at the computer but doing something else. Happy New Year to everyone, and may your spys find many marshalls in 2004.
apollo
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 06.01.2004 15:40    Post subject: New features Reply with quote

I add my thanks to you spion and the others for giving us such a great site. The only suggestions I have is that you do a "periodic" cleaning of the standings. There are many names in the standings list which haven't played for months, or played a few games then quit playing. Also, I agree with Napoleon that some sort of points penalty needs to be assessed to those that do not play on some sort of regular basis. If not the top 5 to 10 players will never change, for all the others keep knocking each other off, because as you all know , in stratego its hard to beat a good player more than a couple times in a row. One last thing spion, please put me as from the USA. Texas to be exact. Thanks

Apollo
ghochan1

PostPosted: 06.01.2004 16:50    Post subject: penalty for non-play Reply with quote

I have not been around for a while, but I do "lurk" on the forum every now and then and feel the need to respond to those who would penalize people who haven't played for a certain amount of time.

I have to say that I completely disagree with this idea. This is a game, for heaven's sake, and not everyone has the luxury of time to play games as often as you -- or they, themselves -- might like. To penalize people for not playing is ridiculous in my opinion; you are punishing people for having lives outside of Stratego.

I have played one game in about the last three months, down from my previous 2-3/week, because of a variety of factors that have lowered stratego on my list of priorities. If you want to remove me from the ratings because of a lack of activity, that's fine. I supported that policy at the old WSC and would hope that we would be able to do it here in a similar fashion -- that inactive players who start playing again can pick up where they left off and not have to start over in the ratings. But to "punish" me by knocking points off my rating just doesn't make any sense to me. If anything, it's a disincentive to come back at all.
spion
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 06.01.2004 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

we will not punish players that don`t play by lowering their points.

The rating is a measure of the playing strength compared to the other players, not points. If a player does not play for a while, you can not just say he is weaker now, because this is just not known. And thats the fact: If a player does not play for a while, his playing strength simply becomes unknown.
E.g. you can't just say Lion is not the strongest player any longer just because he does not play. In fact he has just won the world stratego championships so it is very likely that he still IS the strongest player For the Gravon ratings, all we can say is that we don't know how strong he is at the moment, because he does not play.

So what i will do (as soon as i have time) is:

1. Players that did not play at least 3 games in the last 2 month will not get a ranking. Their rating will not change and they get a rank again as soon as they play a few games.
So Lion will have the highest rating but he will not be number one ranked player any longer.
(Thats according to Kleiers System on kleier.net and differs only in the amount of time)

2. I will open a second rating/ranking table with only those results from 2004.

Best regards
spion
cosmo
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 06.01.2004 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

kent if you want to find a name without scrolling up and down several times just go to EDIT at the top of your page then hit FIND enter name and bingo that saves lots of time and is easy as pie

cos
apollo
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 06.01.2004 22:37    Post subject: penalty for not playing Reply with quote

Let me clarify myself on an earlier post. I'm not saying to take points from people for not playing, I'm saying to delete them from the rankings until a certain amount of games (lets say five games a month) are played. If not like I said, the top5-10 players will never change. I feel with all certainty that players who play alot of games like gpet0 ,warhero, and others will never obtain a top 10 ranking simply because of the amount of games they play and I know they are just as good as alot of the players above them. And remember one thing, playing online is a WHOLE lot different than playing the board game.

Thanks,
Apollo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> English All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: