SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The top 4 cherry pickers in the top 20
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 07.06.2010 16:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychicWarrior wrote:
Yes the Reality is people like Ace have a very limited selection of people to play and often the players with the highest rankings, player fewer games . It just how Kleier works.

Ace has never ducked me, despite his setup times that can be measured with the Mayan calendar , he, unlike , many top 20 players, doesn't duck and avoid for fear of losing.

Why would anyone on the planet earth duck you dude? LOL. Hey just for fun I checked out Ace vs Brass on player to player. I mean both dudes play a lot of games and have been playing for better than 5-6 years. Well the grand total of games btw the 2? Let me give you the number straight; it's 12. LOL. Now I'm 100% sure it's because they are never on at the same time. btw, for the record it's Ace 7 and Brass 4 and a draw. I watched Brass play several games the other day and he won em all in awesome fashion. I could not help myself and called him God

By contrast, GB has played the great Brass 42 times and holds a 28-12-2 mark vs god. way to go GB. NC has battled it out with Brass 106 times and holds a very impressive 70-34-2 mark. congrats NC on success vs who I consider to be a most outstanding player, Mr Brass
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 16.06.2010 12:46    Post subject: Re: The top 4 cherry pickers in the top 20 Reply with quote

gentleben wrote:
To get in the top 20 you have to be a good player, no doubt. But, for those who pick and choose who they play to make themselves look better in the rankings, to me, it would be a hollow victory to think I made it in the top 20 by deliberately playing lower ranked players.

Since 33% of the ranked players are ranked 1500 or above, anyone playing significantly less than that is obviously cherry picking. And it is also noticeable in their winning %.

So, to give them the recognition they are looking for, here are the top 4 cherry pickers in the top 20.

1. tomba 14%
2. Holunder 14.4%
3. psychonaut 16%
4. Dozer 16%

To be fair, I have been beaten by all of them except Holunder but we have only played 3 times, so again, I am not saying any of these are bad players. It just bugs me to see someone cherry pick lower ranked players to make their ranking look higher.

Hey GB, I have a favor to ask of you dude. Would it be possible to give us all a top 5 cherry picker list from the top 20? I'd appreciate it and sure others would too. Afterall, 5 is a ROUND number. Ok well, I will give mine as of today June 16, 2010.

1. Holunder
2. Terminator
3. Antillares
4. Acerimmer
5. ************maybe GB was right. finding #5 aint easy. looking for help here

Psychonaut has earned his place I think. Tomba and Dozer are wiped out. Ace is a top 20 but I dont think he's a #1, top 10 sure, maybe even top 5. Knock off NC and GB 7 out of 10 each and I eat my words. hell, knock off Skill and Punzel 8 of 10 and I will be eating lots of words
gentleben
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 17.06.2010 05:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be happy to assist Bob but I must make one comment and ask one question first. I can only do it based on who is ranked right now so, for example, even though Dozer would top the list by far he will not be on the list. The question is: do you want the top five worst offenders regardless of whether they are really cherry picking, or do you want to only know the actual cherry pickers?
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 18.06.2010 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well GB, probably what we need is a separate top 5 for each list. cheers pal, Bob
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 18.06.2010 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

i think the list has no power anymore.

if we raise the number of games before a player gets a significant rating,
the topic is done.

i need some answers to my proposal, otherwise it seems that there is no need
for a change and i`ll leave it the way it is.

stratego

Quote:
1. the rules come into effect for the challange ranking only - not the classic
2. how many games must a player play during the year?

i prefer a simple solution like:
25 games per quarter => 100 per year.
this quarantee a stable ranking for a player and within the ranked players
we get a good mix of various opponents.

3. if we change this, all have to notice, that the no. of u.g. will raise and
starting a new ranking in 2011 will show less players for a long time.

4. if a player doesnt meet the requirements:
- a player must play 25 games or he will not be listed
- if he was in list, but plays less then the 25/quarter he stays in list, but his
name is grey.
- of course he must also fit with the current challenge rules.

25/quarter is a high number of games. just because some of us are able to
play several days a week it should not give the impression that all can do it.

any other thoughts?
gentleben
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 19.06.2010 07:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratego, I like the idea of raising the minimum games requirement. Your number of 25 per quarter (point 2) is better than the current number but I would be in favor of an even higher number.

(point 3) I do not see how this will affect when people get ranked. You can still rank someone who has only played 20 games but if they have not played 25 by march 31st they fall out.

(point 4) I do not understand what having a grey name means. Do you mean their name will show grey as opposed to light blue on the users list, or something else?
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 19.06.2010 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ben,

i think we have to take care, that we do not overpower the changes.

looking at the ranking we see a broad distribution between players with 20 or over 1000 games.

the problem is, that some play very few games, because their ranking position is good,
and they do not want to risk it.

others play few games because of various privat reasons, but they are not intrested in a ranking position.

in addition we all know, that a ranking position, based on only few games, is more or less very unstable.

what we need is a fair solution for all players, who want to stay in ranking, but the requirements must be reachable.

if we agree, that 100 games a year (25 in a quarter) is one of the requirements for the challange ranking,
we have to talk about the players who have less games.

1. we could delete all players out of the list.
2. we could change the colour of the players nick (grey) to show that the ranking position is based of few games,
but they get a ranking.
3. same as 2, but without a ranking position.

my proposal is, that a player must play:
25 by the end of march
50 by the end of june
75 by the end september
100 by the end of december

if as player does not meet the no. of games each quarter his nick will stay in the list, but changed to grey
and he gets no ranking number.
e.g. Atillares will stay at 4th position with a grey nick, but new no. 4 is Zach21 (current situation)

stratego

Last edited by stratego on 19.06.2010 14:44; edited 2 times in total
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 19.06.2010 14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think raising the minimum games per quarter to stay in the rankings is important and should be done. I agree that the number should be at least 25; my recommendation is a number more like 30. Cheers and thank you for all your fine work Stratego. You work for nothing and I commend you to no end. GB, as always I appreciate your input and all others who contribute to the forum and website.

UB
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 20.06.2010 00:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want to get too many people out of the list because then its a very short list! Surely you want to be top of a list of over 100 players than top of a list of only 50 or so. I know I am proud to top the barrage WSC rankings list even though it's not as prestigious as Klier, but there are over 400 players listed and while some have hardly played, I can still say my rating is the highest of over 400 people, which is nice. If I top the klier rankings there are about 15 people listed so it is a short list.

I do agree that you should have to have, IMO, at least 50 games a year and so many per month or quarter to be on the final list though. 50 is not even 1 a week remember. But it seems like a decent sized sample.

There are so many ifs and buts to contend with. The distribution of players you play....unbiasbob and art for example, play each other so many times compared to another 2 players...does this mean anything for their rankings? Should they be playing other people more often? My brother is not registered but we play all the time here...I mean almost daily! Go to player vs player and put in Samuel and Simon3....it is quite remarkable! But he never plays anyone else! If he was to get a ranking it would be based entirely on games against me! (which Im sure Stratego would not allow but if he did!)

does this need considering? Or just the number of games against anyone.

Honestly, I think the current system is good. Nothing will ever be perfect. Look at the world cup - you have the hopes and dreams of entire nations decided by penalties whenever a game is drawn. This is hardly fair as it is a lottery really. But its the best they can do within the parameters of the sport that unfortunately does produce many ties. In fact in the WC, if you have a situation with a group where every match is a 0-0 draw or a 1-1 draw or whatever, then 2 teams get pulled at random from a hat to advance. They don't have any other solution! Why not say, the team that earned the most corners or had the most shots on target, should go through? But no, its just a random draw. Hardly a perfect system!

So I don't think we can ever get it just right, and its very good at the moment.
gentleben
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 20.06.2010 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stratego, 25 games a quarter is good but my vote goes to leaving the names off the list completely. If it is grey it is still there and a player can take satisfaction they are at number 4 even if it does not say so. If they want to be on the list they should have to do what everyone else does to get there, play enough games. 100 games a year is not too many (I still think it is too few, 150 is better). 100 is less than 2 a week and 2 games can be played in an hour. That is not asking too much.
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 27.06.2010 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably GB is right. The minimum games to be ranked should be raised. These are some great players who would be left off the list but it's going to be because they are too busy or whatever. I know I missed a few year end lists because tego was not on my mind those last months of the year. I didn't cry and dont thing dudes with excessive low games per months or qtrs will either. It doesn't have to be raised majorly but it seems too low where it is.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: