SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Viewing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blacksheep
User

PostPosted: 12.03.2013 11:56    Post subject: Viewing Reply with quote

Dear all, I would just like to mention the subject of viewing. We are all here because we love playing Stratego, and I think one of the fantastic features of this site is that you can watch games being played in real time as they happen. How much more exciting can it get (apart from real life tournaments)

Although I love playing the game, like other players, I also prefer to watch on some occasions.

I couldn't do this on the other site I played on.

Sadly, though, there are not that many players who allow viewing when playing though, but it is a good thing that the site owners have given players that choice.

I suppose it is thought maybe that if viewing is allowed, the watchers may get an advantage by seeing gameplay, tactics or setups. I can only speak from experience, but I have never really learnt anything about the players I am watching that I could use to my advantage. (only that they are very good, and I probably wouldn't win !)

Another fear maybe is that watchers will learn bomb setups, but in that respect, bomb setups can always be changed, and most good players have many setups, so you couldn't guess which one they would use. Besides, I think bomb setups come way down the list of what wins a game. From all my watching, it is predominently the skill of the players that wins the games.

One player who I will express my gratitude to, who always allows watching is zach21. Not only does he allow watching, but I have seen some incredible displays of skill here. I do love to see a good game between two really good players. So, a big thank you here to zach who generously allows this.

And here is fine example. I have seen many of zach21's games, his bomb setups, his tactics, his strategey. But can I beat him through watching all of this? Of course not. It doesn't help me at all. He knows it, I know it, we all know it - I will not win unless by some fluke or until my skill improves. It is nice to see a player so confident in his own abilities that he doesn't mind who watches.

It would be nice to see other top players allow us to see games and enjoy watching their skill used, as the same would apply to them. If you are at that level, nothing will really change by allowing other players to watch.

Has zach dropped in the ratings because he allows watching? . No, in fact I think he has moved up.

I know other players who like me, love to see good games because they have told me. It would be great to see games involving players like Ace, psychonaut, NoChance, Gentleben, noes, rapunzel, dermeister, fonias - the top 10 or 20.

So, if any of you top players (besides zach21) are reading this, spare a thought for those of us who appreciate seeing an exiting good game. Of course the choice is always yours, but I look forward to the rare occasion of seeing a good game.

Just before you click that box to turn 'watching for visitors allowed' off, think, maybe I'll let them watch this if they want to, what harm can it do?

All the best, and mostly importantly have some nice games.

BlackSheep
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 12.03.2013 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic and post BS and I totally agree with it. AceRimmer is another player who allows watching quite frequently, which is nice. It would be awesome if more players would also do so
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 12.03.2013 13:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to stop up later if you want to watch my games BS.
You are probably tucked up under the duvet before I come online.
blacksheep
User

PostPosted: 12.03.2013 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, indeed, there is a very good reason for that. I need to get plenty of beauty sleep. Although, sadly, it hasn't helped - I am still ugly in my my mums eyes, my dads eyes, and everyone who has eyes...
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 14.03.2013 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm watching BlackSheep's game right now at 6AM NY time. The room is packed with 6 out of 7 players in it. Only straycat is not b/c he's likely busy at work
blacksheep
User

PostPosted: 14.03.2013 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Bob. Yes, I've noticed Rapunzel and zach21 amongst others watching in my room and it's great to see them there. I'm not sure if they are watching to see how awful I am or to see my school boy errors, heh heh. Anyway, hope everyone enjoyed the games, and see you later.

It's early days yet, but I've noticed a few other players also allowing games to be watched - as I've said before zach21 always has done, so good on you fella, but also thanks to Mojo1967 last night who changed to viewing so the watchers could see him demolish me. Yes, I lost spectacularly, but I really don't mind players seeing me lose. We all win and lose.
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 14.03.2013 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes if there is no game available its better to watch another than sit waiting, regardless of who is playing.

I usually turn watching off because I find sometimes you get trolls or idiots who make stupid comments and I can do without that. Perhaps a minority spoiling it for the majority?
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 15.03.2013 02:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Viewing is good until you get a vocal audience who make comments like "Ace's flag is either square x or y" (especially when the flag is indeed on one of the 2 squares mentioned)
This happened last week!!!

This week in a viewable game of mine, zach (who was watching and not playing) comments that "ace's unmoved marshal & general are at square x and y" (again it was especially annoying as one of the 2 pieces was indeed at one of the 2 squares mentioned)
When I watch zach and I recognise the setup he is playing, do I tell the opponent..... "oh I seen this setup before and the flag is open at square x?" NO!!!
It's none of my business to interfere. Please be quiet & let the players play and leave comments until after the game has finished.

Gavroche & Kissofdeath are fairly bad for doing this. When you play one, you play both because its viweable and they confere all the way through the game.
zach21
Fortgeschrittener

PostPosted: 15.03.2013 03:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

ace don't hate i was completely joking around i said your marshall and general were K1 and I1 a complete joke had no idea wasnt even looking closely just said it to mess with ya.
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 15.03.2013 06:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:

I usually turn watching off because I find sometimes you get trolls or idiots who make stupid comments and I can do without that. Perhaps a minority spoiling it for the majority?

Boy Sammy you're really a card you know that? You were doing exactly the trolling and commenting to my viewable game with Becks a few days ago. LOL. Don't worry I have Becks and another witness who was in the room who will verify this. So basically you turn off viewing for fear that someone who is just like yourself might enter your room and do things that you would do. LOL. Man, luckily there are very few people like this on Gravon.
blacksheep
User

PostPosted: 15.03.2013 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ace - yes, that's a very good point you make there. If players are going to watch, they should not speculate about locations of pieces in the general chat window, as that can spoil the game and I am sorry that happened to you as I would feel the same way.

If players want to chat about the game to another player (who is not playing that game of course) then they could by using whisper which will not reveal their thoughts or distract the 2 players.

To be fair, not many players have done this to me, and I would be quite disappointed if they did, as I feel leaving viewing on is a privelige - we are saying 'you are welcome to come into my room and watch my game' and expect that privelige not to be abused.

All it needs is for players to be sensible - I just usually say 'Hi' or some other greeting if I join because I don't want to distract anyone.

Unfortunately, if your experience happens often enough, players will always just go for 'no viewing' for a quiet uninterupted game (and who could blame them?) - and then we all lose out in the end. Both you and zach21 are great entertaining players and we would all miss out watching yours and zach21's games if the viewing was turned off.
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 15.03.2013 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

acerimmer wrote:
Viewing is good until you get a vocal audience who make comments like "Ace's flag is either square x or y" (especially when the flag is indeed on one of the 2 squares mentioned)
This happened last week!!!

This week in a viewable game of mine, zach (who was watching and not playing) comments that "ace's unmoved marshal & general are at square x and y" (again it was especially annoying as one of the 2 pieces was indeed at one of the 2 squares mentioned)
When I watch zach and I recognise the setup he is playing, do I tell the opponent..... "oh I seen this setup before and the flag is open at square x?" NO!!!
It's none of my business to interfere. Please be quiet & let the players play and leave comments until after the game has finished.

Gavroche & Kissofdeath are fairly bad for doing this. When you play one, you play both because its viweable and they confere all the way through the game.

Its very bad that this stuff happens. This is exactly the reason why I seldom let players watch my games. I also have an bad experience with it. Furthermore some players learn your games too good and get advantage with it in lotoing when they are behind for example.
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 15.03.2013 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Bob you're talking bollocks again! You said you put me on ignore after I "insulted" Becks - which was the first thing I said on coming into the room. Now you suddenly seem to know everything that was said. Funny, we were discussing a lot of things but nothing about where your or Becks pieces were. I said I thought you could still win, but evidenly I gave you too much credit. After that we were discussing other things but as you had me on ignore, you wouldn't know what I was saying so stop with the BS. You accuse people of 'humping' and you're the biggest humper here except Dozer. You make excuses why you have so many x-files. You say unranked games are a waste of time but all you ever play against me is unranked games, and probably anyone else over 1300. Now you say I was in your game making silly remarks when you've already said you had me on ignore.

Basically Bob, you seem to be talking out of your arse more and more frequently at the moment and it's getting loathsome.
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 16.03.2013 06:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

unbiasbob wrote:
samuel wrote:

Boy Sammy you're really a card you know that? You were doing exactly the trolling and commenting to my viewable game with Becks a few days ago. LOL. Don't worry I have Becks and another witness who was in the room who will verify this. So basically you turn off viewing for fear that someone who is just like yourself might enter your room and do things that you would do. LOL. Man, luckily there are very few people like this on Gravon.

My statement speaks for itself and says nothing about discussing where pieces were. You insulted Becks after you stormed into the viewing game and started in with comments about what a great upset this would be, Becks beating unbias (as if upsets never occur). Oh and the sarcasm when you said you were "rooting" for me. LOL. That would be like me saying I was rooting for Beck in the game. Oh yes and then you talked endlessly about how I could win the game in spite of being down so much to make it virtually impossible. Take up comedy sammy, you're good at that. The funny thing is that I accept losses and upsets but having a troll come in during the game and throw all sorts of comments around is, to use your term, loathsome. Yes and after I congratulated Becks on his victory I placed you on ignore. Becks btw is a fine gentleman who is fun to play and doesnt go ballistic should he lose. He's like me in that way. How about sammy?
Oh that sammy gets really riled up when he gets beat. I even heard of a time when a newbie was beating sammy so sammy left Gravon for 9 minutes, came back and surrendered. He was hoping the newbie would leave the game not knowing the rules about 10 minutes. Sammy was hoping and I bet he pulled off that scam b4. Ah yes this is typical sammy. lol. jeez sammy all you need to do is change and become a fine person who has fun playing the game win or lose and you would earn my respect and the respect of the Gravon community. Do that sammy, I'm pulling for you to no joke. I dont like to see you disliked by the masses. I'll back you up 100% if you change and become a gentleman. Try and model yourself after Ace or BlackSheep, you own countrymen. Is that so hard to do sammy?

regarding humping, I said earlier that I dropped that subject as I came to the conclusion that the Adequate/Non Adequate system in place deals with it efficiently. I also stated earlier that I apologized to Ace for my posts on the subject which may have offended him. He, as a gentleman, accepted my apology and we move on. I'd like to take it a step further and apologize to ANYONE who I may have offended in past posts on the subject. Yes that means even you sammy, even Dozer. The ad/non ad system can handle it. Oh yes even apologies to Tomba. I want to move on from this topic. But sammy of course this is an open forum and you can discuss it at length if you choose; I just won't be joining in that conversation
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 16.03.2013 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic is you being a hypocrite though Bob, not humping specifically. Stop trying to side-step the issue with "things you've heard" - I've "heard" stories about you too but unlike you I don't come on the forum spouting off about them. I didn't even name you in the other thread but you waded in and made it about you - there were others too but they haven't got their knickers in a twist over it like you. Of course you have left the issue of humping behind and apologised to everyone - because it became obvious you are the biggest humper of them all and you got shown up as a hypocrite. You had no other choice. Now you have done it again - suddenly it's revealed you didn't start ignoring me when you said you did, so you actually would have seen all the things I said (and have chosen to either ignore bits that don't suit your agenda or twist them so they do) and didn't click on ignore until after the game, which was pretty much when everyone left and the conversation finished anyway.

I maintain it isn't an insult to say a result will be an upset if a guy in the bottom 5 were to beat a guy in the bottom 25. That's just a statement of fact based on positions. Becks didn't complain, he didn't come on here crying or report it to anyone, only you do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: