SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not enough time to return
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 02.07.2013 18:48    Post subject: Not enough time to return Reply with quote

Today I got an illegitimate loss to "bigpapa" because my computer froze up. By the time I logged back on with my other computer (about 10 minutes), I was handed a loss. I had complete control of the game and was certainly going to win. I had the advantage with pieces and also knew where his best piece was (a col). I had a colonel also but I was also up a major and a lot of miners.

Why does gravon only allow such a short amount of time to return? I intentionally do not usually put on the bronstein clock because of this. I cannot stand getting illegitimate losses and that is why I
left meta. Their resume -.
blacksheep
User

PostPosted: 02.07.2013 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that will almost certainly affect your ranking postion and your points rating.

But on the positive side, bigpapa had only won 4 of his 28 games, not including this win, so this will boost his ranking and rating position quite considerably. So some good always comes out of these things.
acerimmer
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 03.07.2013 03:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deron,

If you were winning the game then you could always ask bigpapa to agree to void the game.
If he agrees then the admins can act & void this game.
It all depends on whether bigpapa is a sporting guy or not. Certainly maybe you should ask nicely and fingers crossed he says yes.

Ace
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 03.07.2013 06:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a bummer deeeeeron. this crap happens sometimes but fortunately it's fairly rare
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 03.07.2013 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it is not rare for me. I have about 4 illegitimate losses from this sort of thing. Gravon should allow 15 minutes to return, especially for high ranked players who have proven to be honorable. I am not sure if this is feasible but in my opinion, it is needed.

Asking the other player to void the game only extends the frustration, especially since most of them are opportunists and want a win no matter how it comes.

I have been playing very well in recent times and taking the game more seriously. It's a bummer to lose momentum with an illegitimate loss.

I was not aware of bigpapa's ranking since the ranking points are not showing for some reason. Generally, I play whomever wants to play.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 03.07.2013 13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacksheep wrote:
Yes, that will almost certainly affect your ranking postion and your points rating.

But on the positive side, bigpapa had only won 4 of his 28 games, not including this win, so this will boost his ranking and rating position quite considerably. So some good always comes out of these things.

I assume you are joking here?
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 04.07.2013 04:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Deron has a point here. I mean in was 15 minutes for the better part of a decade. Why was it changed anyway to 10 minutes? It must have been due to hot heads and sore losers who left too many games thus people had to wait a long 15 minutes. What about those legit computer freezeups like Deron had or bad connections like mine? I had 3 or 4 ranked x-file losses that occurred over 2 months as I just missed getting back in 10 minutes. If it were 15 minutes none of those would have happened. Anyway these sore losers and hot heads are mostly known and easily exposed and can be dealt with. Changing to 10 minutes probably was not the way to deal with them.

also Deron, you don't see bigpapa in the challenge yearly rankings list as he hasn't yet played 50 games. that's 25 games per quarter to be listed. nice run you're on btw
blacksheep
User

PostPosted: 04.07.2013 15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deron, yes I was using irony there and didn't mean that. I do feel for you as this has happened to me on 2 recent games I can remember (and there are more I can't) where I was winning and like you, heading for an almost certain win. Both were much higher ranks as well, so not only did I lose both games to a higher rank when I should have won, but I also got an x-file for leaving a game illegally when my computer froze as well. So a double whammy.

You didn't deserve that loss, so like Ace said it would be well worth contacting the admins to see if things can be put right, after all that is not the true outcome of the game had it been played out normally. Hope it works out, you are an excellent player.
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 04.07.2013 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

in past we always heared: why must i wait so long if a player quits the game?
can you smaller it to 5 mins?

we never agreed, to such a small time limit, but changed it for unranked games to 5 and ranked to 10. its a good compromize.

for sure we must ask, why e.g. players like deron have an unstable system. its not the fault of gravon or your opponent, if you cannot fix
your computer problems.

also we always react, if players send an information, that the game should be out of ranking.

but a lot of players would not agree with 15 mins. and we will never give a high ranked player a longer time limit.

normally we see, that a player rejoins within 10 mins. if not he needs much more time and maybe next time you need 17, or 20 mins.

we never know if a player has real probs or not. also we will have more probs with leaving the game because of loosing.

10 mins is a proofed data which works since years.

stratego
samuel
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 05.07.2013 00:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, and in 2013 why don't people have more reliable broadband? Its not difficult really, is it? Get a reliable ISP in place and a half decent computer and there's no problem. On the rare occasions its happened to me, its because the internet has gone completely and usually stays gone for some time, so there is no hope and if it was 15 minutes it wouldn't make any difference.

I spent a year in China in 2008-09 with a very bad internet line, and still only got a few x-factors (but I couldn't play games on the shortest clock time as it could sometimes delay for a while between turns). Im amazed if 5 years later people in more developed nations can have worse setups than this.
sadistic
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 05.07.2013 01:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can say this and that but I have lost several games because of this apparent change. That extra 5 minutes would have allowed me to get back in time in most of my cases. Computers do not last long before they start slowing down and having problems. Should we buy new computers every year to avoid illegitimate losses?

Remember, that in business, for every complaint that you receive, 10 people feel the same way but have not voiced their grief.

Anyway, I can see that nothing is going to be done but at least I voiced my opinion on it.
stratego
Chief-Admin

PostPosted: 08.07.2013 00:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

the main problem is, that you are the only one who claim personal computer problems for discons.
i use a normal computer which is 7 years old and i never have problems with discons. what you can do is to update the system (most important is java and windows).

in background we are working at a new version of gravon. it will work without java or other dying software.

it need some time to write a complete new version, but for sure we will have
it at end of the year.

stratego
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 19.07.2013 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuel wrote:
I agree, and in 2013 why don't people have more reliable broadband? Its not difficult really, is it? Get a reliable ISP in place and a half decent computer and there's no problem. On the rare occasions its happened to me, its because the internet has gone completely and usually stays gone for some time, so there is no hope and if it was 15 minutes it wouldn't make any difference.

I spent a year in China in 2008-09 with a very bad internet line, and still only got a few x-factors (but I couldn't play games on the shortest clock time as it could sometimes delay for a while between turns). Im amazed if 5 years later people in more developed nations can have worse setups than this.

Good to hear you admit that you have no problems.

Last edited by unbiasbob on 23.08.2013 05:50; edited 1 time in total
ruben87
Gravon Administrator

PostPosted: 19.07.2013 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think Samuel ever complained about an X-File or a game he losses because of connection. That is the difference. And he is right about it, 15 minutes is more than enough. My last X-file must be years ago. I play since 2005 here and I vaguely remember just 1 x-file. In this 8 years I used just 2 computers and never got trouble.

If I got a computer crash or something and I was obviously winning, I think many players would give me the win. I can imagine Deron has less credits.

unbiasbob wrote:
samuel wrote:

Good to hear you admit that you have no problems. Certainly with your 5 recent x-files you should be on the cusp of a ranking rest
unbiasbob
Alter Hase

PostPosted: 20.07.2013 00:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 minutes it is, we have to deal with it

Last edited by unbiasbob on 23.08.2013 05:52; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gravon - Das Spielerparadies Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: